Tuesday, January 1, 2013

First Listen: Sol Republic Tracks HD

When it comes to the Sol Republics, I really cannot figure out what all the hype is about.  I am going to start right off the bat here with sound, and say that they honestly didn't sound very good in the slightest. In all honestly they sounded distant and extremely muffled, and maintained the current bloated, muddy bass that has been perpetrated by the folks over at Beats by Dre.  While I would put these as a better "value" than Solo Beats, there are still several headphones out there from other much more reputable manufacturers and companies that cost less and sound better.  This is exactly the same stuff I have been preaching for years in regards to Beats by Dre products and headphones.

When it comes to the build, I still am at a loss to the amount of hype these headphones receive.  Yes, they are near indestructible, but I cant stand the way the ear cups just kind of sit on the headband (and can come completely free of the headband) I guess the idea here is that the headband is interchangeable so you can swap head bands with your friend or something.  I don't know, they just come off looking and feeling like a kids toy.  Although I will say that they are probably much better built and tougher than their primary rival: the Solo Beats.

When it comes to comfort, I am going to be honest.  I am not a fan of on ear headphones.  Some may find these relatively comfortable. I however, do not.  I am not going to comment on the comfort other than to say they are on ear, so for me the simply squash my ears and yes, its painful.


All in all, the Sol Republics are a better choice than perhaps Solo Beats.  But are they a better choice than Sennheiser HD 448's? than Sennheiser HD 25's? Than V-Moda Crossfade M-80's? No.  They simply aren't, and if you are considereing purchasing the Sol Republics I am implore you to look into these and other headphones, headphones from companies such as Sennheiser, V-Moda, Shure and even Sony.  I guarantee you can find something for cheaper that sounds even better.  Similar to Beats by Dre's motto of "leading the revolt against inferior sound" Sol Republic has taken up a motto of "saviors of sound". I like to call those of us who choose to do our research and as a result purchase tried and true professional quality headphones the "real audio army".

No comments:

Post a Comment